Here’s a little tip when exporting Blender models to Unity that I learned while developing games on no budget. If you export a Blender model directly to Unity, Unity will rotate it by -90 degrees in order to correct it. We don’t want to deal with this especially if we are manipulating the model’s rotation via code during runtime.
- Select the model you want to export to Unity
- Go to File -> Export -> FBX
- In the Export FBX (See screenshot for reference):
- Click the Selected Objects box
- Change the Forward to – Z forward and Up to Y Up to match up with Unity’s left hand coordinate system
- Check the Apply Transform box
There you have it! Your model appears correctly in Unity and you don’t have the wrong rotation in Unity.